The swing beam shear is an industrial cutting machine used to cut a variety of materials, including metal, plastic and rubber. It is a necessary tool for many industries, including manufacturing, construction and metalworking.
The machine is named for its cutting mechanism, which consists of a pendulum or lever arm that swings back and forth to transmit cutting force. The material to be cut is placed on the fixed bed, and the swing arm equipped with a sharp blade is swung down to cut. The pendulum shears are capable of both straight and curved cuts, making them suitable for a wide range of cutting applications.
The highly efficient swing beam shear is durable and robustly constructed to withstand the demands of heavy industrial use. It is usually made of high-quality materials such as steel, and its cutting blades are made of durable materials such as tungsten carbide or high-speed steel. The machine is also equipped with safety features such as guards and emergency stop buttons to ensure the safety of operators.
Components of an oscillating beam shear
A swing beam shear consists of several components that work in concert to provide an accurate and efficient shearing process. These components include the shear frame, shear blades, hydraulic system, backstop system and control system.
The shear frame is the main body of the swing beam shear and houses the other components inside. It is made of heavy-duty steel to provide the stiffness required to withstand the cutting forces.
The shear blade is the shearing tool attached to the shear frame. It is usually made of high quality steel and can be adjusted to different angles to suit different materials.
The hydraulic system is responsible for controlling the movement of the shear blade. It consists of a hydraulic cylinder, a hydraulic pump and a hydraulic hose. The hydraulic cylinder provides the necessary force to move the shear blade up and down, while the hydraulic pump provides the hydraulic oil.
The backstop system is used to precisely position the material to be cut. It consists of a backstop finger, a motor and a control system. The backstop finger is located behind the material to be cut and the motor moves it forward or backward according to the desired position. The control system is used to set the desired position and to control the movement of the motor.
The control system is the brain of the pendulum shear. It consists of a control panel and a programmable logic controller (PLC). The control panel allows the operator to set the desired cutting parameters, while the PLC controls the movement of the hydraulic system and the backstop system.
Working principle of a swing beam shear
The working principle is to use the hydraulic system to move the shears up and down to cut the material. The operator sets the desired cutting parameters on the control panel, including material type, thickness and cutting angle. A backstop system is used to precisely position the material to be cut.
Once the material is in place, the operator activates the hydraulic system to move the shear blades downward to cut the material. The backstop system then moves the material forward and repeats the process until the desired number of cuts is completed.
The most common materials that can be cut by a pendulum shear
Sheet Metal and Plate – Swing beam shears are commonly used in metal fabrication to cut various types of sheet metal and plate, including steel, aluminum and copper.
- Plastic Sheet – Swing beam shears are also used to cut various types of plastic sheet including PVC, acrylic and polycarbonate.
- Rubber Sheet – Can cut various thicknesses of rubber sheet, making it an essential tool for the rubber manufacturing industry.
- Fiberboard – Can be used to cut various thicknesses of fiberboard and is an essential tool for the furniture manufacturing industry.
- Cardboard – Can be used to cut various thicknesses of cardboard, making it an essential tool for the packaging industry.
Overall, pendulum shears are versatile cutting machines that can be used to cut a wide range of materials in a variety of industries.
Advantages of using oscillating beam shears
Pendulum shears offer several advantages over other types of shears, including
- Precise cutting – Known for its accuracy, thanks to the backstop system and control system.
- Versatility – Can cut a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics and rubber.
- Efficiency – Multiple cuts can be made in a single pass, resulting in increased productivity and efficiency.
- Ease of use – easy to operate, even for beginners.
Applications of swing beam shears
- Manufacturing – Typically used in manufacturing to cut sheet metal and plate.
- Construction – Used in construction to cut metal beams and pipes.
- Metalworking – Used in metalworking to cut sheet metal and plate.
Maintenance of Oscillating Beam Shears
- Lubrication – The shear blades and hydraulic system should be lubricated periodically to ensure smooth operation.
- Inspection – The shear blades, hydraulic system and backstop system should be inspected periodically for signs of wear.
- Cleaning – The oscillating beam shear should be cleaned periodically to remove any debris that may have accumulated on the machine.
Safety Precautions for Operating the Oscillating Beam Shear
The Pendulum Beam Shear can be dangerous if used improperly. Safety precautions to be taken when operating include
- Protective Equipment – The operator should wear protective equipment, including gloves and goggles.
- Training – Operators should be trained in the proper use of the swing beam shear.
- Maintenance – The pendulum shear should be properly maintained to ensure safe operation.
Swing beam shearing machines are an essential tool in many industries for cutting a wide variety of materials accurately and efficiently. By understanding the components, operating principles, benefits, applications, maintenance and safety precautions of a pendulum shear, operators can ensure that they are using the machine safely and efficiently.