Press Brake Machines and their Types
Press brake machines are semi-automatic or fully automatic machines used to bend and form different materials, primarily sheet metal and thicker plates. It is easy to create complex and precise bends when using a press brake machine as opposed to traditional manual methods and tools.
Types of Press Brake Machines
There are several types of press brake machines. Most are typically categorized by the type of control.
- Mechanical Press Brake – Uses manual cranks or levers to position the ram and bends or forms the plate or sheet metal.
- Hydraulic Press Brake – A hydraulic pump operates several hydraulic cylinders to bend the material.
- Numerical Control Press Brake – Uses a computer-controlled operation and is more accurate than other types of press brakes.
- Servo-Electric Press Brake – Utilizes an electric servo system to move the ram and control the movement.
Functions of Press Brake Machines
Press brake machines are used for a variety of functions and operations, including:
- Bending: They are primarily used for bending sheet metal by using a punch and die set.
- Punching: Punches of different shapes can be used to produce holes and slots in sheet metal.
- Forming: It can be used to form metal pieces into complex shapes like conical work.
- Shearing: Shearing blades are used to cut metal into desired lengths.
Press brake machines are an essential tool used in many industries including automotive, aerospace, and construction. They are used to create components used in the assembly of everyday products, as well as components for large scale projects.