Safety Guidelines for Safe Use of Press Brake Machines
Press brake machines are used in the manufacture of various parts, especially those with complex shapes and contours. The use of press brake machines is highly regulated by safety standards as these machines are able to generate significant amounts of force, which can cause serious injury or death if used improperly. The following safety guidelines should be strictly followed when operating or working around press brake machines.
- Develop procedures: Procedures must be developed and documented that cover the use and maintenance of the press brake.
- Train operators: The operators must be provided with proper training prior to working with the press brake machine.
- Restrict access: Adequate barriers should be used to control access to the press brake and its operating mechanisms.
- Inspect and maintain machine: The press brake should be regularly inspected and maintained to ensure that it is operating safely.
- Use proper clothing: Appropriate protective clothing must be worn when operating the press brake machine.
- Clear the area: The area around the machine should be kept clear of all materials and obstructions when the press brake is being used.
- Manual operations: Manual operations, such as setting the angle stop and slitting, should only be done when the machine is completely stopped and the brake is engaged.
- Check materials: The materials to be bent should be inspected to ensure that they meet the proper specifications and are suitable for the task at hand.
- Visually inspect: The press brake machine should be visually inspected prior to use to ensure that it is in good working order and all components are properly secured.
- Unauthorized use: The press brake machine should not be used by anyone other than qualified personnel who are properly trained and authorized.
- Handle emergency situations: In the case of an emergency, the operator should be familiar with the emergency procedures for shutting down the press brake and taking appropriate precautions.
- Stay alert: The operator should remain alert at all times and be aware of the potential dangers associated with press brakes.
- Stay clear: When a press brake is malfunctioning, all personnel should remain at least 30 feet away to ensure their safety.
By following these safety guidelines, operators and personnel can ensure that press brake operations are performed safely and efficiently. The safety of all personnel should be paramount when operating press brake machines, and following these guidelines can help protect personnel from potential hazards.